Sunday, April 27, 2008

Fool me once.... by Thomas

So this is it, yesterday we got a phone call from our landlord informing us that he was moving in on the first of July, and so he was expecting us to be out by June 30th. So these two last months of school before summer will somehow be stressful for us and the kids. Not a lot of house are for rent, if none... 

Once again, our landlord showed no signs of remorse. And while I cannot criticize the mean (this is his house and this is surely the cheapest solution for him), I still am in total shock of the way he handled the whole situation... Even going to say that us not having a home was none of his business. He did not care at all. In a way, we are not family so why would he care. Maybe two years ago we should not have took care of his dad and just let him die like a dog when he got his strokes while trying to get up his bed. But well this is just not us.

In a way this taught me a great lesson. Next time I am having to deal with a landlord, I will stay a nice tenant but this will be strictly business. I will let Kim do the social if she wants... Cause I won't. From now on, I will consider every person I am doing business with in this country as a potential selfish backstabber... As Americans are saying: fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me

7 Comments:

At April 28, 2008, Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

In possession of the world's suckiest and most miserly landlord, as I am, let me say that you have my deepest sympathies. May you find a wonderful house that will leave you thankful that you had to move!

 
At April 30, 2008, Blogger B said...

Oh, I'm so very sorry to hear that you are going through this. It is so disappointing when someone with whom you were on friendly terms with would have no concern or compassion. I understand how guarded this makes you but I do hope that very soon someone wonderful (and American!) will prove that there are people you can trust here.

I hope that you will be able to find something soon! Again, I'm so sorry to hear about this and am sending my very best wishes!

 
At May 04, 2008, Blogger Lesley said...

I hope you find somewhere really great to rent soon so that the stress will be minimal. Bon courage!

 
At May 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happened to a French couple I know here in Ottawa, same situation. It sucked. Plus, she was pregnant. We were soo mad at the landlord... even though it was his right to rent his house to a relative, he barely gave them any notice and it wasn't a good time for them to move.

They are strictly business with the new landlord, although he seems okay. I understand them (and you guys) for feeling a bit betrayed.

Hope you find a new home soon!

 
At May 19, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, by the way, I was browsing expats blogs, which is how I came there... sorry I didn't introduced myself! ;)

 
At May 22, 2008, Blogger susan d said...

You just reminded me of another nightmare landlord. A "nice" couple from Buffalo that owned the home lived downstairs. We were asked not to run the fans in the dead of summer (no a/c), stop walking so much, and don't let our one year old drop his toys on the floor. They, incidentally, had a one year old, also.
I was never so distraught. They would leave notes in the mailbox so that I hated picking up the mail. Couldn't even face us in person.

 
At June 22, 2008, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm curious to know if you have found anything yet? And are you moving this or next weekend??? so sad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home